upcoming events:


also see:
http://cooneyes.deviantart.com/

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Contradictions and Shortcomings

It appears that this blog has reached a standstill.  I am always meaning to be more on time as it were with posting, as though this was a kind of school project with concrete deadlines.  It is not, however... and I realize over the course of the last few months that my creative style can do without undue stresses.  So, I now propose that this blog shall be updated in a most un-punctual manner.  Sporatically I shall upload what I have been up to in the processes I call my art.

There is a place for order, though I've gradually found that the haphazard approach was to my own advantage.  It suited my style, more and more.  I go from project to project, and some of my best work is that which is experimental and in a spirit of 'let's try this'.  I realize also that most of the work I've posted to this blog has been fibre related; well, let's add other kinds as they are created.

I have, with the closing of the year and the beginning of this new one, been working on finishing leftover projects and doing standard clothing repairs.  I've mended sweaters, pants, shirts, and drafted a few patterns in preparation for a clothing line of sorts.  I've just now been working on creating a slipcover pattern to be put in use with the four dining chairs I've gained from a friend- the vinyl like fabric of which shows off the puncture marks by my cat quite well.  You could say that I've been focused on items closer to home.

And that leads me to the areas of study I have been pursuing on my free time for the last many months: permaculture, gardening, homesteading, DIY, plastic free living, whole system design.  Instead of a mid-life crisis I would say I've been having a mid-life revival.

In the midst of this though, I have applied and been accepted to the 2015 SWAG in Saskatoon, a one night gala of wearable art worn and shown off, and then had those two entries accepted into a gallery show made up of the gala entries which will run in March 2016 I believe until April 2016.  In between that I went to Greece with my Aunt for two weeks in September 2015, and I saw a lot of what I'd learned about in university.  It was also a nice parallel to what I'd learned in art history with artists taking the road to Greece and trying to gain inspiration from the ancient ruins.  But I am a bit of a romantic, so that's not surprising.  It is a beautiful country.

Here are the accepted pieces, a reconstructed silk headdress and a felted dress:






            Until next time then.

No comments:

Post a Comment