upcoming events:


also see:
http://cooneyes.deviantart.com/

Search This Blog

Monday, September 13, 2010

Corner Brook Expo pics

Art by me shown at the East Meets West Meets North (sp) expo, in Art at the Church. I sold the fabric hanging/ nice to see people liking the textiles ^_~


The majority of art shown was the Newfoundland traditional type, understandable due to the location and the focus on tourism, but it does get a bit overdone. It's very good to have that type of art that can help build up the culture of a place, but there also needs to be modern, contemporary art that can grab other interests. There were a few works along those lines, and a small amount of sculpture, but they were overshadowed by the sheer number of paintings and 2D works.

(not to bash all the paintings, 2D, trad. art out there, just making a note)

Next year if there is another show, I'll focus on the wall hangings a bit more, maybe do some book art. This is a good thing to have on a cv; any show you can get in, display and sell work, get some artist cards and information out into the public eye, all helps. There aren't very many ways for an artist with a semi-fresh BFA to be a full time artist. I highly doubt it's possible, unless you go on to get more education or get a good break somewhere. Again, not trying to be discouraging but you've got to be realistic.

I like to think that although most of my time is devoted to my average part-time job, I'm a full time artist (or at least as full time as I can get) ^_~

No comments:

Post a Comment